Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Democratic Primaries and Nominee

Is it over? Well it really depends on what numbers you are counting and which speech you listen to. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) just spoke in Manhattan. Her speech was strong and there was really no concession. It is true that she acknowledged that her competitor has more delegate votes but she didn't say she was backing out. She is still fighting. The question is what is she fighting for?

She is perhaps fighting for the nomination for Vice-President. Perhaps she should fight for that. However, she has a very legitimate reason to fight for the nomination. The delegate count may favor her opponent but the popular vote favors her. Which should count more - The vote of the people or a few elite party Super Delegates? As a Republican, a party without Super Delegates, it is hard for me to say that anything but the vote of the people should count. What of the disgrace in Michigan and Florida - their votes count for half? That hasn't happened since the civil rights movement gave equal voting rights to ALL AMERICANS!!!! How can an African American candidate not see the problem here?

Now Senator Barrack Hussein Obama (D-IL) is speaking. He is making nice to Mrs. Clinton. He also is claiming victory. Should he really be doing so and in the place where the Republican party will hold their convention later this year (The XCel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN)? I really don't think that he should be. First of all it is a low blow to take the place where Senator John McCain (R-AZ) will be nominated. That is just dirty politics and uncalled for. Secondly, how can he claim victory when more people voted for his Democratic opponent then have voted for any presidential candidate in the history of the United States of America? I don't see how he can honestly do this. I guess that is the problem - he isn't honest!

I am happy to have seen the contributions the first female candidate and the first serious African American candidate have brought to this campaign. I have no problem with either of them as a female or an African American. In fact if Secretary of State, Condolezza Rice were the candidate (for those of you in Rio Linda I should note - she is both a female and an African American) I would be overjoyed to vote for her!!! My issues with Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton are ideological and ideological only.

I went to www.hillaryclinton.com to night and I told Mrs. Clinton to stay in the race. Now this is partially because I support Operation Chaos. However, it is also because I firmly believe that she has a legitimate argument to stay in. She won the popular vote and Mr. Obama did not! She has a good argument to fight on. Do I want her to be the next President - NO! I want Senator McCain to follow Mr. Bush. However, should the Democrats be victorious in November then Mrs. Clinton would be my choice.

I am surprised to see that in print. Do I support Mrs. Clinton - NO! In January, I wanted Mr. Obama to be the Democratic nominee. I believed that he was the lesser of two evils. As the campaign has unfolded it has become clear that he cannot be trusted. He associates with known terrorists and confessed bigots such as the Rev. Jeremiah Wright - his former pastor. We need a President who supports America and one who has a spouse that is proud of America and has been (not one like Mr. Obama's wife who acknowledges that she has never been proud of America before).

So what does all of this mean. It means that we need to support Senator John McCain both now and in November. It also means that we need to tell Hillary to stay in the race and not let Mr. Obama walk away with a victory that he didn't earn! Stay the course in this election folks and fight for what is proper, a patriotic President!

No comments: