Saturday, September 27, 2008

First Presidential Debate


Last evening on the campus of Ole' Miss the two major party candidates for President of the United States met in debate. Senator John Sidney McCain III (R-AZ) and Senator Barack Hussein Obama (D-IL) stood on the stage and answered the questions of Jim Lehrer of PBS.

I was unable to watch this debate in real time last evening. However, I did tape the event and have watched it this evening. I am a political junkie, as you my regular readers know. Therefore this is a fun event for me. I wanted to post only a brief comment on the debate as it is would yield too long of a post to provide critical analysis of the overall debate.

Here are a few brief thoughts. I believe that Senator McCain did very well in the debate. He articulate his position on the economy and foreign affairs very well. I believe that he looked very presidential and in my opinion was the winner of the debate.

Senator Obama did better than I expected. He was articulate much of the time but did stumble as he often does without teleprompters. I was not pleased with his answers. I also found him less respectful than Senator McCain. Mr. Obama regularly referred to Senator McCain as John while Mr. McCain consistently referred to his opponent as Senator Obama. I think this demonstrates a clear difference.

I look forward to the next debates. Seriously, I am very disturbed that I will be traveling next week. I could have had free tickets to a VP debate watch party and which Governor Sarah Palin (R-AK) will be appearing after the debate! Oh well - maybe there will be another chance to see her here in St. Louis during the campaign.

For now - let me say - well done Senator McCain.

No comments: