Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Democratic National Convention - Day Three, Part I


I have decided that today's post on the DNC will receive two different parts. The reason for this is that I wish to comment upon Senator Joe Biden's (D-DE) speech in a separate post.

Let me say that today is an historic day in the history of the United States of America. Today, on the floor of the Democratic National Convention at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado the delegates nominated the first African American Candidate for President of the United States. Whether or not you support Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) or not, this day remains an historic day. I am grateful that our country has reached a point where such a nomination is possible.

Almost of equal historic value is the fact that Senator Obama defeated Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY), the first serious female candidate for the Presidency of the United States. This makes the occasion doubly historic. I am also grateful that we have come to a point in our country where a female candidate could just as easily have received the nomination as an African American candidate.

The primary drama today was in the nomination of Senator Barack Hussein Obama as the nominee of the Democratic Party. I am not sure if the unity the party wanted is fully there but the Roll Call vote began to demonstrate that the Senator Clinton supporters, at the convention, unified with the Obama supporters, to a point. I believe that Senator Clinton's motion for a unanimous ballot was necessary for her to preserve her opportunities to run again in 2012 or beyond. In my estimation this is the only reason that she did what she did in making the motion. This is also the very reason that she released her delegates.

President William Jefferson Clinton had his moment (nearly 30 minutes) on the podium this evening. Rhetorically, I believe he provided a strong speech. He gave a stronger endorsement of Senator Obama than Senator Clinton did. The reason his endorsement was stronger than his wife's was because he actually provided reasons that he felt Mr. Obama is qualified to serve as the President. This was essential for Mr. Obama. While I disagree with President Clinton's assessment of Mr. Obama and also of the Republican positions, I believe he delivered a solid speech for Mr. Obama and his party. It is worth noting though, that in true Clinton fashion the speech was about him. President Clinton's remarks on Mr. Obama's qualifications were very closely tied both to his own Presidency and the positions that Mrs. Clinton ran on.

In many ways, I believe that President Clinton moved the party forward. I also believe he helped lay the ground work for Mrs. Clinton's next campaign.

No comments: