Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Suicide ISN'T Painless!

The theme song of the old TV Show M.A.S.H. was called "Suicide Is Painless." Well, guess what folks - that is a lie!! I can't tell you what it is like for the person so overcome with the trials and tribulations of this life that they find no hope but to take their own life, but I am pretty sure it has to be anything but painless! I can say with great certainty, from my own pastoral experience, suicide is NOT painless for those who are left behind.

Today, I received a message from a friend. This person is a high school student who is simply trying to make sense of the world around her. Her world took a dramatic turn for the worse when a friend of hers ended her own life. My friend doesn't know how to make sense of all of this. She is searching for answers in the midst of her grief as no doubt are those who were closer to the deceased than my friend was.

I am glad that I was able to assure my friend of God's grace in baptism and point her to the cross and the empty tomb. I am thankful that I was able to share hope in Christ with her and help her with her grief. I wish, however, that I had not had to do so. I am sure it won't be the last time that such a situation arises - but my guess is that I will be sharing similar words with someone else - all too soon!

Ladies and Gentlemen - Suicide is NOT Painless! More importantly, there is hope and there is help. If you are finding yourself lost and don't know where to turn - turn to Christ! Turn to your pastor! Turn to a friend! Turn to a family member! Turn to someone! Don't give up - ask for help. People care about you and Christ cares about you. Please, I beg you, don't give up - you are worth much - Christ died and rose for you!

No comments: