Sunday, August 17, 2008

Proud to be American!


I have spent a great deal of time over the past several days watching the Olympic Games. I always enjoy watching the athletes from all over the world give it their all for Olympic Gold. There have been some wonderful moments for our US athletes and of course amazing feats completed by athletes from other places also. My favorite moment of these games, so far, came when Michael Phelps won his record setting Eighth Gold Medal in the men's 4X100 medley last night.

All I can say is that Michael is an amazing athlete and a class act. He makes me proud to be an American. I was so impressed after the medal ceremony last night as I watched Michael. The media from all over the world were trying to get pictures and comments from the greatest Olympic Athlete of all time. However, Michael had another mission in mind. There would be time for interviews and pictures later. There was something more important for Michael than media attention at that moment.

I was impressed as I watched Michael shake his head "no" to the press and then walk directly through all the cameras and up the bleachers to greet his mother and his sisters. He had flowers to give to them. He knew all the other stuff could wait - he had a mother to hug. I was extremely proud to be an American as I watched his race, his medal ceremony, and his attending to his mother.

Michael Phelps - truly an American Hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations Michael!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

revmlk said...

Agreed. I thought the same things as I watched him climb through the cameras and reporters to reach his mom. A class act.