Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Democratic National Convention - Day Three, Part II


Tonight at the Democratic National Convention, Senator Joe Biden (D-DE)accepted his party's nomination to run as the Vice-President of the United States. I have to say that I was surprised to learn about his family history and the tragedy that he suffered with his sons at the death of his daughter and his spouse. It was impressive to listen to his son describe him as a supportive father. While it has little to do with this election - I have to say that I am impressed by his leadership as a "good father," something very many men in our country need to learn. Ideology aside, I have to say that Senator Biden has done well by his children.

Senator Biden's speech is being delivered in a very conversational tone. I would have to say that his conversational style does seems to be very effective with the delegates. This style may serve the ticket well as the campaign moves forward. While I don't agree with all of his points nor with his political positions, I believe he is making an effective speech. This conversational style morphed into a stronger typical political style. The combination seemed to prove effective.

As Senator Biden begins to speak of his partner on the top of the ticket, Senator Barack Hussein Obama (D-IL), he is beginning to outline the accomplishments of Barack Obama. Many, myself included, have asked the question, "What has Barack Obama accomplished?" For the first time, I am hearing a politician list at least a few of those. I am not convinced those that Senator Biden is listing are all that significant but at least he seems to list some.
Senator Biden is pushing the Obama major issue of "Change." My only question is - what exactly does it mean to stand for change? I understand in general what change is, but my question is - what will the changes be - what does Barack really stand for.

Senator Biden is now talking about Senator John McCain. I tend to believe that he means he is a friend of John McCain. I believe there are those on opposite sides of the aisle who are friends. It is possible to be friends with one's ideological adversary. I do reject the idea that Senator McCain's positions are simply more of the same - Senator McCain is not President George W. Bush!

Ok - Senator Biden is starting to articulate some of what the change will be. Here is the thing - it isn't change - in Biden's own words about McCain, it's more of the same. The change that is being proposed in this speech sounds just like the same Democratic ideology and rhetoric.

Senator Biden is delivering a strong speech. I have to wonder - will it be stronger than the candidate's speech tomorrow night? Mr. Biden looks presidential, as did of course President Clinton but I am not sure that Mr. Obama will look presidential. Mrs. Obama did not look like a First Lady and I have a feeling that Mr. Obama will not look presidential as he speaks in a ballpark in front of what is purported to look like a Greek Temple. Personally, I hope that Mr. Obama does not look presidential but more like a rock star. For if he looks like rock star - I hope the American People are smart enough to recognize that they should not vote for him. Tomorrow we will find out whether or not the candidate was outdone by his running mate.

One other question: As I look at Joe Biden I have to wonder - will Barack have to stop attacking Senator McCain based on his age? It sure would seem that way!

P.S. - I am a little surprised that Senator Obama spoke during his appearance on stage to congratulate Senator Biden. I wasn't all that surprised by his presence on stage briefly but his giving a commercial for his unprecidented speech at a different venue tomorrow evening seemed odd. Why did he need to give the commercial or explain his decision - could it be that the delegates are not taking to the idea of the circus planned for Invesco Field at Mile High? HMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

No comments: