Friday, August 29, 2008

John McCain Selects Sarah Palin as V.P.


Multiple news agencies, Fox News included are reporting that Governor Sarah Palin (R-AK) is Senator John McCain's (R-AZ) choice as a running mate for the Republican Party's ticket for the Presidential Election. The "Official Announcement" has not yet been made - that should being coming soon.

A few initial remarks are worth while. I believe that this may be a good choice. From what I have been able to gather this morning the choice offers the ticket a solid conservative presence. Governor Palin is a member of the NRA, pro-Life, mother of 5 (one headed to Iraq and one just recently born with Down Syndrome), she is much younger than McCain, she is a Christian, and is purported to be a rising star in the Republican Party.

I was a bit surprised this morning when I heard that Governor Tim Pawlenty (R-MN) was staying home to go to the MN State Fair (though I don't blame him it is an awesome fair) and that Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA) was staying Boston. However, as I learned that Governor Palin was the likely choice it started to make sense.

Will Governor Palin bring in the female vote from Senator Barack Hussein Obama (D-IL), since he didn't pick Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY)? This remains to be seen, but I suspect it was a large part of John McCain's decision.

I'll wait to comment further until after the pick is announced officially and I have had a chance to digest more of the commentary from my pundit friends.

No comments: