Sunday, August 24, 2008

Don't Lie About It


Today it was my privilege to serve as a guest pastor at an LCMS congregation. As we gathered for the Divine Service, God brought to us His Word and Sacrament. Just before the service a godly man, one of the elders, informed me that there were visitors in the midst of the congregation. He told me that they were former LCMS members who had left their LCMS congregation and joined an ELCA congregation.

I spoke with these visitors just before the service began and welcomed them to worship. I asked if they were members of an LCMS congregation and they told me that they were not. They also told me, when asked, that the pastor loci had communed them before. I already knew from the elder that this was not the case but rather the pastor loci as a faithful steward of the mysteries of God had not communed them since they were of a different confession.

Unfortunately, the elder as he assisted me in the distribution had to make the difficult decision with me to not commune these same people as they approached the table. I really felt bad about this. I did not feel bad because of having to make the difficult decision but because these folks made the choice to lie to me and try to make an issue out of the Lord's Supper.

I give thanks to God that He provided me with a faithful elder this morning. Were it not for the presence of this man of God, I would not have known that these people were trying to pull one over on me and the congregation.

I also simply want to say this - don't lie about it. If you are of a different confession and are present for worship with us - just be honest. I'll be happy to visit with you and respect your confession of faith but please also respect mine. Don't lie - not only is it rude and demonstrative of a lack of respect for the Church and the Pastoral Office - it is sinful!

No comments: